Monday, January 30, 2006

Career Contemplation No. 200?

As I do every Monday morning, I called in to the temp agency to check on any temporary paralegal job that appeals to me.

I have a degree in counseling with a minor in psychology and a paralegal certificate. Since I like doing both law and counseling, I will begin training as a mediator in the next couple of weeks. The work is not only socially useful, it sounds interesting (and an extension of the things I do at home). I'm not wild about the idea of working as a paralegal until retirement, since one frequently ends up with the responsibilities of an attorney and the pay of a secretary. Of course, being immune from malpractice suits and slightly more regular hours may be a good tradeoff for a lot of workers, but it doesn't really work for me.

On the other hand, mediation is not a full-time job. I was thinking of offering litigation support in addition to mediation. In other words, a full service free-lance paralegal. I would still have a lot of responsibility, but at least my pay would more closely match my ability.

In a way, I am tired of obsessing on my career, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home